CEREC is an acronym for "Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics" and is a computer-aided design and manufacturing system for dentists. A Cerec is a crown made of solid ceramic and is designed, created, and fitted using computer-assisted technology.
What is CEREC?
The Cerec system is a crucial tool in advanced dentistry. This procedure eliminates the time-consuming process of sending your tooth mold to a lab and the long wait of getting the crown made. You get the crowns fitted as part of a same-day procedure and walk away from the dentist's clinic with your smile restored. The CEREC procedure is a safe and effective way to restore your teeth. There are three common treatments where CEREC helps, namely crowns, veneers, and onlays.
What are the advantages of CEREC?
- The main benefit of the CEREC system is that it re-establishes the normal functioning of your teeth. The teeth affect your smile, the way you talk and eat. The CEREC crowns eliminate the discomfort you have to undergo while waiting for the crowns to be made since it is a one-day procedure.
- It prevents injury to your teeth. In traditional crowns, you have to wear a temporary crown for a few days. If the temporary crown comes loose or does not fit in your mouth, it can cause injury or other issues. CEREC crowns that are provided simultaneously reduce the risk of injury by giving you a crown that fits in one visit.
- CEREC crowns help you in saving most of your teeth as they require less drilling.
- The CEREC crowns save you money as it needs fewer dental visits. It eliminates the need for temporary crowns, and it is also time-saving.
- CEREC crowns are very comfortable to wear as they are made of ceramic and fit perfectly.
- Temporary crowns sometimes come off, thereby raising the possibility of further decay of your tooth. This is never a problem with same-day CEREC crowns.
What is the process to get a CEREC crown?
During this procedure, the dentist prepares your tooth for restoration. The CEREC software will take a digital photo of the tooth that needs a crown. The CEREC technology will create a virtual 3D model of your tooth based on the images taken. The CEREC machine will take the model and make a tooth out of ceramic according to your crown's shape and specifications. Your dentist polishes the new crown and fits it inside your mouth. The entire procedure takes about 2 hours.
Is the CEREC crown durable?
The CEREC crowns are as durable as traditional crowns. It gives you an affordable solution by reducing the cost and minimizing your time at the dental clinic. The computer-aided technology makes it possible for the dentist to construct the crown quickly with a high degree of accuracy. Since high-quality ceramic material is used, there is no impact on the crown's quality and durability. The crown can be matched to the natural color of the patient's teeth.
Call us at Briarwood Family Dentistry or schedule an online appointment to know more about CEREC Crowns.